Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCO)
Oldway Primary School | Higher Polsham Road | Paignton | Devon | TQ3 2SY
Tel: 01803 557190
What is Special Educational Needs (SEN)?
All pupils have individual interests, needs, strengths and next steps. Usually, in a mainstream school, these are met through Quality First Teaching by the class teacher so that each child makes progress towards achieving Age Related Expectations. A child or young person has a SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which is a barrier to learning and calls for special educational provision to be made for them.
How do I find out about the support, provision and progress of my child?
All teachers are teachers of pupils with special educational needs and the Class Teacher, who knows the child best, should be the first port of call for parents. In addition, the SENDCO can provide support about a child’s needs, progress and support. Each term, parents and the class teacher jointly create an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) so that the child’s progress and support is reviewed and next steps discussed and planned.
What is the role of the SENDCO?
A SENDCO oversees and coordinates the support, intervention, provision and progress of all pupils on the SEN register. This includes:
• Advice and support for staff and parents
• Observations and diagnostic assessments
• Monitoring progress of pupils with SEND
• Referrals to other agencies for advice
• Providing information and reports for other agencies
• Record keeping
• Training and professional development
• Additional resources
• Transition to or from school to another setting
• SEND policy and Local Offer
How do I find out about the support available in school and within Torbay?
See key documents below:
• Oldway’s Local Offer describes the support for pupils with SEND at Oldway.
• The SEND policy describes how pupils with SEND are identified, monitored and supported in school
• The SEND Information Report July 2017 summarises the arrangements and support for pupils with SEND for the year 2016-17
• SENDIASS Torbay provides free information, advice and support for parents of children and young people with SEND: http://sendiasstorbay.org.uk/
Please click the links below for details of Oldway's SEND policies: